South Carolina Center for Child Care Career Development


Tuition and Books FAQs

Do I need to pay for tuition first?

Students do not need to pay for their tuition up front if all of their paperwork has been submitted to T.E.A.C.H.

Do I ever pay for my classes myself?

Students should not have to pay for tuition upfront, if they have submitted their application and sent/faxed all necessary paperwork well ahead of the purge date.  Students may need to pay for tuition if they have not given T.E.A.C.H. staff sufficient time to process their application or paperwork so that a charge approval can be faxed to the college/university.

How much will it cost to take classes?

Here is a breakdown of costs for tuition:


Recipient Pays
Center Owner 90% 10%
Family/Group Provider 90% 10%
Center Teacher/Director 90% 5% 5%
Center Teacher/Director 75% 20% 5%

Do I pay the college/university the 5% or 10% that I owe for tuition?

Recipients always pay the CCCCD directly for the 5% or 10% that they owe.  Students will be accessed the portion they owe when the reimbursement is processed.

When does the student pay for 5% or 10% of the tuition?

Recipients will have the 5% or 10% of tuition that they owe deducted from the $100 travel stipend that is allotted to them every semester. If the amount of the travel is greater than the 5% or 10% of tuition then a check will be mailed. If the travel stipend is not enough to cover the tuition costs, then an invoice will be mailed.

How does the center pay for their percentage of tuition?

The center will be billed for the 5% or 20% (depending on which scholarship model chosen) of tuition they owe for each of their employees. The center’s reimbursement is processed at the same time of the recipient’s reimbursement.

Does T.E.A.C.H. pay for out-of-county or late fees?

Out-of-county fees, out-of-state fees and late fees are the responsibility of the student.  These fees will need to be paid before a student is able to receive her/his grades or register for the following semester.

Am I required to apply for financial aid?

All associate and bachelor degree recipients must apply for federal/state financial aid (FAFSA) to be accepted into the program. Students can either apply at the financial aid office of their college/university or at Please understand that the T.E.A.C.H. Early Childhood Scholarship Program will pay after all other forms of financial aid and/or loans have been expended. This applies to all scholarships (Credential, Associates, and Bachelors). If you have questions, please contact your T.E.A.C.H. Scholarship counselor as soon as possible.

How do I renew my financial aid?

A student can apply online at (This is a free application for federal student aid.  Be aware of websites that want to charge applicants for filing your application.) Also, students can apply at the financial aid office at his/her local college/university.

How often do I apply for financial aid?

Students must apply every year for financial aid.  Students should apply right after filing their federal taxes.  Applying early helps ensure that federal aid funds will be available and may qualify individuals for additional grants.  Without confirmation that students have renewed their financial aid, T.E.A.C.H. is unable to approve upcoming classes.

What happens if I don’t qualify for financial aid?

If a student is not eligible for financial aid or financial aid does not pay for all of the tuition, T.E.A.C.H. will pay for the student’s tuition for T.E.A.C.H. approved courses. T.E.A.C.H. does not require students to attend school full-time.

I received a refund check from financial aid.  What should I do?

In some instances, a student has been awarded more financial aid money than the cost of her/his tuition.  In this case, a refund check is sent to her/him.  Please call or email your T.E.A.C.H. Scholarship Counselor to ensure that the check is correct.

Do I need to pay for books up front?

Students or centers can either pay for their books upfront and be reimbursed later or charge books to their T.E.A.C.H. account. Not all of our partnered colleges allow students to charge books to a T.E.A.C.H. account. If you have questions about your college allowing this please contact your T.E.A.C.H. counselor.

Where can I buy my books?

T.E.A.C.H. can reimburse books bought from your college/university bookstore or from an online bookstore that shows book title, how much the book costs and the total amount that was paid for the book not including tax. T.E.A.C.H. is unable to reimburse books bought from the following:  financial aid, friend, or coworker, etc.

How do I get reimbursed for books or tuition that I paid for?

To help T.E.A.C.H. process your book reimbursement faster, send T.E.A.C.H. a tuition/book receipt, along with the Reimbursement Claim Form B, as soon as the semester starts or promptly after any books have been purchased.

Are there certain fees that T.E.A.C.H. is unable to reimburse?

T.E.A.C.H. is unable to reimburse for taxi, bus, ride sharing, or parking fees. T.E.A.C.H. is also unable to pay for certain college fees. These fees include, but are not limited to: out-of-county/state tuition, application fees, late fees, background checks, finger printing, parking decals, uniforms, etc.


Home >>
Home >>