South Carolina Center for Child Care Career Development


Classes FAQs

Do I need to pay for tuition first?

Students do not need to pay for their tuition up front if all of their paperwork has been submitted to T.E.A.C.H.

Am I required to apply for financial aid?

All associate and bachelor degree recipients must apply for federal/state financial aid to be accepted into the program. Students can either apply at the financial aid office of their college/university or at Please understand that the T.E.A.C.H. Early Childhood Scholarship Program will pay after all other forms of financial aid and/or loans have been expended. This applies to all scholarships (Credential, Associates, and Bachelors). If you have questions, please contact your T.E.A.C.H. Scholarship counselor as soon as possible. Please understand that the T.E.A.C.H. Early Childhood Scholarship Program will pay after all other forms of financial aid and/or loans have been expended. This applies to all scholarships (Credential, Associates, and Bachelors). If you have questions, please contact your T.E.A.C.H. Scholarship counselor as soon as possible.

How do I renew my financial aid?

A student can apply online at (This is a free application for federal student aid.  Be aware of websites that want to charge applicants for filing your application.) Also, students can apply at the financial aid office at his/her local college/university.

How often do I apply for financial aid?

Students must apply every year for financial aid.  Students should apply right after filing their federal taxes.  Applying early helps ensure that federal aid funds will be available and may qualify individuals for additional grants.  Without confirmation that students have renewed their financial aid, T.E.A.C.H. is unable to approve upcoming classes.

What happens if I don’t qualify for financial aid?

If a student is not eligible for financial aid or financial aid does not pay for all of the tuition, T.E.A.C.H. will pay for the student’s tuition for T.E.A.C.H. approved courses. T.E.A.C.H. does not require students to attend school full-time.

I received a refund check from financial aid.  What should I do?

In some instances, a student has been awarded more financial aid money than the cost of her/his tuition.  In this case, a refund check is sent to her/him.  Please call or email your T.E.A.C.H. Scholarship Counselor to ensure that the check is correct.

Do I need to pay for books up front?

Students or centers can either pay for their books upfront and be reimbursed later or charge books to their T.E.A.C.H. account.  Not all of our partnered colleges allow students to charge books to a T.E.A.C.H. account.  If you have questions about your college allowing this please contact your T.E.A.C.H. counselor.

Where can I buy my books?

T.E.A.C.H. can reimburse books bought from your college/university bookstore or from an online bookstore that shows book title, how much the book costs and the total amount that was paid for the book not including tax. T.E.A.C.H. is unable to reimburse books bought from the following:  financial aid, friend, or coworker, etc.

How do I get reimbursed for books or tuition that I paid for?

To help T.E.A.C.H. process your book reimbursement faster, send T.E.A.C.H. a tuition/book receipt, along with the Reimbursement Claim Form B, as soon as the semester starts or promptly after any books have been purchased.

Does T.E.A.C.H. pay for my gas?

Every semester a student attends class(es) she/he will receive a travel stipend for $100, regardless of mileage that was driven.  Gas receipts are not required for the reimbursement. 

Are there certain fees that T.E.A.C.H. is unable to reimburse?

T.E.A.C.H. is unable to reimburse for taxi, bus, ride sharing, or parking fees.  T.E.A.C.H. is also unable to pay for certain college fees.  These fees include, but are not limited to: out-of-county/state tuition, application fees, late fees, background checks, finger printing, parking decals, uniforms, etc.

What kind of classes does T.E.A.C.H. pay for?

T.E.A.C.H. will pay for the tuition of approved classes that are considered a part of an Early Childhood Education Degree including any developmental courses that are needed.

How do I register for classes?

Depending on the procedures of your college or university, you can register for class(es) online or in person at the registrar’s office.  Contact your advisor (ECD Coordinator) to ask if you need to be advised first.

What is a charge approval?

A charge approval is a fax that is sent to the college’s/university’s Business Office that states T.E.A.C.H. will pay for a recipient’s tuition.  When T.E.A.C.H. has received all necessary paperwork (i.e. contract, registration statement, proof of financial aid, etc.),  T.E.A.C.H. will fax a charge approval that specifically states which classes we will pay.  Even if students have received other sources of financial aid, they still need to notify T.E.A.C.H. of their classes before the purge date.  T.E.A.C.H. staff is not authorized to verbally confirm that they can pay for classes over the phone with college/university staff.  A fax or email to the business office is the only valid method of approval.

How are my classes paid?

After T.E.A.C.H. sends a charge approval, the Business Office will put a hold on your class so that it will not be purged.  The hold not only guarantees that the class(es) will be paid for, but it also ensures that your classes will not be dropped for non-payment.  This does not necessarily mean that the tuition has been paid at that time, but an agreement has been put into place stating that T.E.A.C.H. will pay for the tuition.

There is a balance on my account.  When will my classes be paid?

Many colleges do not actually bill T.E.A.C.H. for the class(es) until all class additions and withdraws have been made.  Colleges may also wait to send the bill until financial aid has had an opportunity to apply any late awards.   T.E.A.C.H. is billed for all of the T.E.A.C.H. recipients at one time not on an individual basis.  T.E.A.C.H. pays for the tuition when it receives the bill.

How many classes can I take each semester?

T.E.A.C.H. will pay for up to 6 credit hours per semester.  During a recipients 1st Contract Year on T.E.A.C.H. he/she will only be approved for up to 3 credit hours per semester.  Once a recipient has completed 1 full contract (3 semesters) on T.E.A.C.H. earning A’s and B’s in all T.E.A.C.H. sponsored classes they will be considered for up to 6 credit hours per semester.  In order to remain eligible for up to 2 classes (6 credit hours) per semester you must earn a B or higher in all T.E.A.C.H. approved classes each semester.  If you earn a C or lower you will only be eligible for 1 (3 credit hour) class per semester until you earn a B or higher for 3 consecutive semesters.  If a recipient would like to take more classes than what T.E.A.C.H. is able to allow, they need to either pay for the classes themselves or with financial aid.

What should I do if I change my schedule?

If a recipient makes any changes to their schedule, he/she must send or fax T.E.A.C.H. immediately to ensure that classes will be paid.  The student is   responsible for notifying T.E.A.C.H. of this change, not the college/university.

How do I know when tuition is due for my college/university?

The Registrar’s or Cashier’s Office should be able to tell you when the last day is for tuition to be paid, which is also called the Purge Date.  You can also ask your T.E.A.C.H. Counselor.

I went to my first class and I wasn’t on the roll.  What is happening?

Either you were dropped from your class for non-payment during purge or during registration you were not enrolled in the class.  Also, a student could be dropped from the class because she/he does not meet the prerequisites.

When I registered for my classes, there was an outstanding balance on my account.  Please explain this.

Outstanding balances can consist of late fees, background checks, or out-of-county tuition fees which T.E.A.C.H. is unable to pay.  A balance can also be from classes that were dropped after the 100% refund date or that were withdrawn.  If the balance is the amount of your previous classes’ tuition, then call your T.E.A.C.H. Scholarship Counselor.

Will T.E.A.C.H. pay for late fees associated with being dropped/purged from a class?

At some colleges/universities, if a student is dropped from his/her class after the purge date for non-payment, then a late fee is issued to the student’s account for re-registering for that class.  T.E.A.C.H. does not pay for this fee.

What happens when my classes are dropped from the purge?

If there is space available and you are willing to pay for a late fee (where applicable), go to the registrar’s office and register for the class.  Also, contact your T.E.A.C.H. Scholarship Counselor.

What is the difference between dropping and withdrawing from a class?

When a student drops a class, there will be no record of the class on the transcript.  However, when a student withdraws from a class, (s)he will receive a grade of “W”.  If a student drops the class before the 100% refund date, then there will be no charge for the class.  When a student drops after the 100% refund date or withdraws from a class, the student will be responsible for paying the tuition.

What happens if I fail a class?

T.E.A.C.H. understands that situations may arise that affect the ability of a student to pass a class. In lieu of this, T.E.A.C.H. will pay for the tuition of a class that was failed. T.E.A.C.H. will also pay for the student to retake the class.  If the student does not pass the course the second time, T.E.A.C.H. is unable to pay for the student to take the class a third time.  
Note:  Each college/university determines what constitutes a failing grade for general education and early childhood development classes.  Some classes must have a passing grade of a “C” or better while other departments may accept a lower grade.  Contact your advisor for more information. 

What if I drop, withdraw or fail a class?

1st Failed Class

No penalty from T.E.A.C.H.

2nd Failed Class

T.E.A.C.H. will pay for the tuition but is unable to pay for student to take the class the 3rd time

Any Dropped Class after
the 100% refund date

The student repays the tuition

Any Withdrawn Class

The student repays the tuition



Home >>
Home >>